Business and Commercial
Critical Motions / Appeal
Securities / Finance
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2009
Suffolk University, B.S. Business Administration – Computer Information Systems, summa cum laude, 2003
Judge Raymond M. Kethledge, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2009-2010
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Michigan State Courts
Roger P. Meyers leads the firm’s complex business and commercial litigation practice. He has handled disputes involving business ownership, corporate acquisitions, commercial contracts, director and officer liability, business torts, securities, health care, unfair competition, intellectual property, and trade secret matters. Representative clients include Wells Fargo Advisors, Health Alliance Plan, Roush Industries, Edw. C. Levy Co., Dialog Direct, and others.
- Represented investor through arbitration to final award of complex business dispute on claims for statutory oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion.
- Defending closely held manufacturing business owner in $100 million alter-ego / veil-piercing action.
- Counsel for telephone company in $40 million fraud and preference action arising out of tariff dispute.
- Represented software services company in fraud, fiduciary duty, and partnership dispute.
- Counsel for technology company in multi-million dollar fiduciary duty and ownership dispute.
- Defended importer against franchise, fraud, and other business tort claims.
- Defended automobile manufacturer in significant securities class action.
- Counsel for leading truck manufacturer in $80 million supply dispute.
- Represented automobile manufacturer in state attorney general consumer protection action.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a high-tech manufacturing portfolio company in a $4 million royalty dispute involving extensive electronic discovery issues and an accounting before a special master.
- Counsel for a mining company in $25 million breach of lease action involving complex hydrogeology and geology issues.
- Counsel for health system and its chief executive officer in federal false claims retaliation action.
- Defended the CEO of a closely held financial-services company through trial and appeal in litigation involving claims of shareholder oppression, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented a major marketing and business-services company in non-competition, confidentiality, and trade-secret misappropriation action against former executive team.
- Counsel for a prosthetics and medical equipment company in a multi-million dollar trademark and post-closing adjustment action arising out of divestiture of a line of business.
- Counsel for private acquirer of a multi-state fast food franchisor in the defense of a $3.5 million action involving contractual and business tort claims.
- Represented a Fortune 100 petroleum company against shareholder claims for declaratory and injunctive relief.
- Counsel for defendant racing corporation in shareholder action for oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, and books and records.
- Counsel for a major HMO in a series of contractual disputes with several physician groups.
- Represented investor in fraud, embezzlement, and fiduciary-duty action against former partner in health care business.
- Counsel for engineering firm in multi-party action involving a complex kickback scheme.
- Counsel for major physician group in tortious-interference action involving complex peer review and HIPAA issues.
- Defended investment bank against fiduciary duty and other claims asserted by former partner in FINRA arbitration.
- Counsel for private equity firm in $40 million series of investor securities-fraud actions.
- Defended software company in class action for alleged constitutional violations in connection with payment processing.
- Counsel for physician in membership dispute involving litigation, arbitration, and buyout of ambulatory surgical center.
- Counsel for software company in $100 million patent, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition action.
- Defended marketing firm in significant Telephone Consumer Protection Act class action.
- Defended major investment broker in negligent hiring / oversight action arising out of investment advisor wrongdoing.
Before joining Bush Seyferth PLLC, Roger was a Partner at Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn LLP. He also served as a judicial law clerk for Judge Kethledge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, a founding member of BSP. Roger came to his legal career with a decade of prior professional experience, including as general manager of a business with nearly $10 million in annual revenues and as a software consultant in the health care industry.
Roger is a graduate of Suffolk University, where he received his B.S. in Business Administration with a focus on Computer Information Systems summa cum laude. He later attended the University of Michigan Law School, where he received his J.D., magna cum laude. While attending the University of Michigan Law School, Roger was the Articles Editor for the University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform.
Honors & Awards
America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators® for Michigan, 2018
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012-present
Legal Aid Defender Association, Recognized for Pro Bono Service, 2012
University of Michigan Law School, Order of the Coif
American Bar Association, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee, Member and Private Equity Litigation Subcommittee, Co-Chair
Detroit Bar Association, Member
Federal Bar Association – E.D. Michigan Chapter, Member
State Bar of Michigan – Appellate Practice Section and Litigation Section, Member
“Best Laid Plans: How To Prepare For & Litigate Deals Gone Bad” Network of Trial Law Firms, 2018
“Classroom to Courtroom” hosted by FBA’s Diversity Committee, Panelist, 2018
“New Year New You – Master the Meet and Confer” Thomson Reuters Webinar, Panelist, 2018
“Private Equity Litigation: What’s the Big Secret?” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Roundtables Committee, Panelist, 2016
“One Size Does Not Fit All: Comparing and Contrasting Appeals Among State and Federal Intermediate and High Appellate Courts” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Roundtables Committee, Program Chair, 2014
“Broker-Dealer Litigation” 2016 Annual Survey, Contributor, 2016
“Broader Fee-Shifting Provisions in Delaware Corporate Bylaws” American Bar Association, Practice Points, 2014
“An Analysis of Federal Rule of Evidence 502 and Its Early Application” Wayne Law Review, Vol. 55:3, 2010
“Risky Ventures: The Impact of IRS Health Care Joint Venture Policy” University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, Vol. 42:2, 2009
For the Commmunity
Michigan Science Center, Board Member, 2016-present
Birmingham Bloomfield Soccer Club, Coach, 2012-2013
Boy Scouts of America, Den Leader, 2011- 2013
Birmingham Area Youth Soccer League, Coach., 2010-2011
Birmingham Unitarian Church, Stewardship Committee, 2006-2007
Brookline Garden Condominium Association, Treasurer, 2002, and Board of Trustees – Chairman, 2003-2004
Favorite Pastime: Boating
Instruments Played: Guitar, Piano
Favorite Animal: Tiger