BSP is a certified, woman-owned law firm dedicated to maintaining a work environment that is inclusive of our differences. We believe that the diverse backgrounds of our lawyers and staff foster creativity and innovation that enable us to provide a higher level of service to our clients. When selecting experts, court reporters, and other outside vendors, we make it a priority to consider diversity. Our team, comprised of experienced professionals, delivers results generally associated with larger firms, while still providing the personal attention and cost efficiency of a smaller, specialized firm.
- National Association of Minority and Woman Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF)
- For many years, BSP has held leadership roles in Practice Area Committees, sponsored annual meetings, presented, and volunteered as staff at NAMWOLF conferences. In 2016, BSP was the NAMWOLF Law Firm of the Year.
- BSP moderated a Capitol Hill Briefing Session for members of Congress and various federal agencies regarding the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform Act’s provisions regarding diversity inclusion. This was followed by a meeting with representatives from the Executive Office of the President to discuss the challenges minority- and women-owned law firms face in obtaining legal opportunities with the federal government.
- Cheryl Bush previously co-chaired NAMWOLF’s Government Advocacy Committee, where she led monthly conference calls and participated in biannual meetings, with the goal of advancing women and minorities in the legal profession.
- BSP is active in many NAMWOLF committees and initiatives, including the Product Liability Practice Area Committee (PAC), Insurance PAC, Trials PAC, and the Marketing Best Practices Committee.
- Law Firm Anti-Racism Alliance
- BSP is a member of the Law Firm Anti-Racism Alliance.
- The purpose of this organization is to “leverage the resources of the private bar in partnership with legal services organizations to amplify the voices of communities and individuals oppressed by racism, to better use the law as a vehicle for change that benefits communities of color and to promote racial equity in the law.”
- The Belonging Project
- BSP is a member of The Belonging Project.
- This is put on by Seyfarth and is “…a national effort to support and build community among diverse law students, attorneys, and their allies to combat the impact of COVID-19 on diversity in the profession.”
- Through this initiative we will contribute to the network and growth of diverse professionals in law.
- Women’s Business Enterprise National Council (WBENC)
- WBENC is a leading advocate for women business owners and entrepreneurs and believes “diversity promotes innovation, opens doors, and creates partnerships that fuel the economy.”
- BSP is WBE certified.
- We attend its conferences annually around the country.
- National Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO)
- Founding Member Cheryl Bush is involved in this organization.
- Center for Automotive Diversity, Inclusion & Advancement
- Lena Gonzalaez is a member
- Hispanic Bar Association of Michigan (HBAM)
- One of BSP’s associates, Luis Gomez, is the president, while another associate, Lena Gonzalez, is the treasurer.
- Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan, Diversity Committee
- Cheryl Bush is a member.
- Michigan Muslim Bar Association (MMBA)
- Moheeb Murray, one of BSP’s members, is the vice president.
- BSP regularly sponsors, participates and donates to MMBA events.
- Oakland County Bar Association, Diversity Committee
- Lena Gonzalez is a member.
- Lena attends monthly meetings to discuss evolving diversity, equality, and inclusion topics in the legal field. July’s meeting focused on hiring and retaining diverse legal candidates and included an expert panel discussion.
- Women Lawyers Association of Michigan
- Cheryl Bush and Stephanie Douglas are sustaining members.
- Lena Gonzalez and Susan McKeever are members.
On January 14, BSP employees will be attending an OCBA workshop that focuses on Micro-Inequities. Micro-Inequities are subtle actions that single out, marginalize, devalue, or overlook an individual. In an…
Cheryl Bush spoke on a panel at NAMWOLF’s Annual Meeting. Cheryl was accompanied by co-panelists, Beth Boggs (Boggs, Avellino, Lach & Boggs, LLC), James Bynoe (OneBeacon Insurance Company), Emily Frascaroli…
BSP is proud to announce that Luis Gomez has been sworn in as the president of the Hispanic Bar Association of Michigan. Luis previously served as HBAM’s Treasurer. The Hispanic…