Business and Commercial
Critical Motions / Appeals
Michigan State University College of Law, J.D., summa cum laude, 2016
Thomas Edison State College, B.A., Political Science, 2012
Judge Bernard A. Friedman, U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, 2016-2018
Michigan State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. District Court for the Western District of Michigan
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Frankie Dame focuses his work on business and commercial litigation, class actions, and critical motions and appeals. His practice focuses on primarily highly regulated industries.
- Secured dismissal of 17-count complaint asserting state-constitutional-law claims, RICO claims, and various state-statutory and common-law claims against the Michigan House of Representatives and several past Representatives and staffers, secured affirmance on appeal, and defeated collateral litigation in Michigan Court of Claims.
- Successfully defeated a challenge to Michigan’s repeal of the prevailing wage.
- Drafted amicus brief for several municipal government associations in tax-foreclosure case before the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Assisted in drafting amicus brief on behalf of the Michigan Senate in a case before the Michigan Supreme Court.
- Assisted in representing the Michigan Senate in its successful defense of Michigan’s 2012 redistricting lines.
- Assisted in drafting complaint and dispositive motion on behalf of a major political party challenging Michigan’s redistricting law.
- Counseled former legislator who had been subpoenaed to provide documents in redistricting litigation.
- Secured settlement of personal-injury action against multi-state energy transmission corporation.
- Represented public utilities before the Michigan Public Service Commission, including drafting briefs and appearing before the Commission.
- Represented a northern Michigan public utility in Circuit Court and the Court of Appeals in a territorial dispute with another utility, drafting the dispositive motion and appeal brief.
- Coordinated applications for and secured dozens of broadband franchises for a northern Michigan energy cooperative.
- Represented a major Michigan healthcare company before the Department of Health and Human Services, Michigan Circuit Court, and Michigan Court of Claims in an administrative appeal and original action involving the Department’s certificate-of-need rules.
- Assisted in drafting a Declaratory Ruling request filed before the Michigan Liquor Control Commission and drafted a Claim of Appeal to the Circuit Court, both for an out-of-state alcoholic beverage company. Later secured related injunctive relief for company in the Court of Claims.
- Defended a family of real estate companies before the Michigan Department of Insurance and Financial Services against a complaint challenging their business practices as unethical and racially discriminatory.
- Drafted successful dispositive and other motions on behalf of the nation’s largest debt-buyer in FDCPA class action litigation in federal district courts in Michigan, Ohio, and Washington, and defended Sixth Circuit appeal for same client.
- Drafted dispositive motions in state and federal cases on behalf of several Michigan counties defending class-action challenge to Michigan’s tax-foreclosure system.
- Represented escalator manufacturer in products-liability litigation, including taking medical depositions.
- Assisted in securing partial dismissal of a multi-million dollar products-liability claim against a foreign auto manufacturer.
- Represented several Michigan colleges and universities in their governance of charter schools including charter school reauthorizations, contract amendments, and litigation.
- Represented defendant charged with first-degree murder after his first conviction was overturned; secured a substantially reduced sentence, taking fact and expert witnesses in the process.
- Represented a nationwide mortgage company in successful quiet-title action.
- Represented consumer leasing equipment company in wrongful death suit resulting after individual crawled under equipment.
- Represented Michigan Senate and House of Representatives in litigation about the governor’s emergency powers.
Prior to joining BSP, Frankie was a governmental policy and practice associate in Dykema Gossett PLLC’s Lansing office. He also clerked for Judge Bernard A. Friedman at the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. During law school, Frankie interned for the United States Department of Justice, the United Nations’ International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Sixth Circuit Judge David W. McKeague, and the Michigan Attorney General’s Office. Between college and law school, he worked for the Michigan Republican Party, Michigan Senate, and Michigan Attorney General’s Office.
Frankie received his B.A. in Political Science from Thomas Edison State College. He then went on to receive his J.D., summa cum laude, from Michigan State University College of Law in 2016. While there, he was a teaching and research assistant (contracts and bankruptcy law), an Associate Editor for the Michigan State International Law Review, and Vice-President of the Modern Abolitionist Legal Society,
Honors & Awards
King Scholar (full-tuition, merit-based scholarship)
Finalist in the 1L Advocacy Competition
2013 Vern Ehlers Intern Award
2013 Frank Fitzgerald Award (public service award)
Federal Bar Association for the Eastern District of Michigan, Member
Ingham County Bar Association, Member
Federalist Society, Member
Inns of Court, Associate, 2017–2019
Student Statesmanship Institute, Moot Court Instructor/Speaker, 2015–2018
“The Effect of Internal Criminal Tribunals on Local Judicial Culture” 24 Mich. State Int’l L. Rev. 213 (2015)
Favorite Book: Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis
Favorite Vacation: Backpacking anywhere in Europe
Favorite Show: Seinfeld