Business & Commercial
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 2015
University of California, Berkeley, B.A., History, 2010
Michigan State Courts
U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
Luis E. Gomez focuses his practice on business and commercial litigation. He has represented municipalities and private entities in state and federal court. He represented the Public Lighting Authority of Detroit in multiple commercial disputes and litigation.
- Participated in a high-exposure jury trial on behalf of the Detroit Medical Center and obtained a no-cause verdict in favor of the hospital.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the Public Lighting Authority of Detroit in a commercial dispute described as a matter of first impression by the presiding judge.
- Represented the Public Lighting Authority of Detroit in a high-profile commercial dispute involving a streetlight manufacturer who sold the City of Detroit streetlights that were failing across the city.
- Obtained dismissal of an action for No-Fault PIP benefits on behalf of a prominent insurance company.
- Obtained dismissal of an action for vicarious owner’s liability and negligent entrustment on behalf of a consumer leasing equipment company.
Prior to joining BSP, Luis worked as an Associate at The Allen Law Group, PC, where he worked on commercial disputes and litigation on behalf of private entities and municipalities. He also previously worked as an Associate at Garcia Law Group PLLC, where he worked closely with the current Corporation Counsel of Detroit, Lawrence T. Garcia. While at Garcia Law, Luis served as second-chair defense attorney at a jury trial in a medical malpractice case involving the Detroit Medical Center. Prior to his time at Garcia Law, Luis interned for Justice Madeline Flier at the California Court of Appeal, 2nd District, Division 8 in Downtown Los Angeles. Luis also worked as a Student Attorney for the Michigan Innocence Clinic and Michigan Law School’s Litigation Clinic.
Luis is a graduate of the University of California, Berkeley where he received his Bachelor of Arts in History with departmental honors. He went on to the University of Michigan Law School and received his J.D. in December 2015. While there, Luis was a contributing editor of the Michigan Journal of Race & Law and served as the Treasurer of the Latino Law Students Association. Luis is fluent in Spanish.
Honors & Awards
Recognized in the Legal News, “Value Added U-M Law Alum Relishes Challenges of Litigation”
Hispanic Bar Association of Michigan, President
State Bar of Michigan, Member
Detroit Bar Association, Member
Oakland County Bar Association, Member
Favorite Podcast: Lore
Currently Reading: One Giant Leap: The Impossible Mission That Flew Us to the Moon
Hobbies: History, spending time with family, and playing video games