Business and Commercial
Construction Litigation & Counseling
Indiana University Maurer School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 1991
University of Michigan, B.A. History and English, 1987
Judge Robert H. Cleland, United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan 1991-1993
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
Michigan State Courts
Michael J. Laramie focuses his practice on construction litigation and counseling, insurance litigation and class actions. Immediately before joining BSP, Mike worked in-house for over 15 years at a national real estate development and homebuilding company as Vice President, Associate General Counsel and Head of Litigation. Mike’s background in the construction industry allows him to advise clients on a broad range of issues that arise throughout the life of a construction project, from the negotiation and drafting of construction agreements and warranty programs to the resolution of complex construction disputes. He has extensive experience in construction litigation involving defective design and workmanship, defective building components, jobsite accidents, indemnity, insurance coverage, lien foreclosure, bond and delay claims.
- Defended developers in multiple class and mass actions alleging defective plumbing systems in tens of thousands of homes in Arizona, California, Nevada and Texas, obtaining recoveries totaling more than $75 million from manufacturers of plumbing components and various insurance carriers.
- Defeated state-wide class alleging installation of defective insulation in more than 7,500 single family residences.
- After settlement of underlying homeowners’ association’s construction defect claim against developer of mid-rise condominium building, recovered $3.25 million from developer’s GL carrier to reimburse developer for initial repairs/investigative expenses.
- In a putative statewide class action in the Middle District of Florida, obtained published decision dismissing tort claims, dismissal of $2 billion punitive damages claim, Daubert rulings striking liability and damages experts, and denial of class certification.
- Defended builder/developer of short-term rental community against purchasers’ claims that sale of condominium units constituted the sale of unregistered securities in violation of federal securities law.
- In a suit filed by lender to enforce development completion guarantee, obtained favorable discovery rulings for developers leading to negotiated settlement of less than 12% of actual completion costs.
- Defeated class certification and negotiated favorable resolution of claims of more than 1,000 landowners alleging improper disclosure of utility rates.
- Defended homebuilder and captive mortgage company in two state attorney general enforcement actions.
- In an insurance coverage dispute, obtained published federal court of appeals decision reversing lower court and holding insurer was obligated to defend and indemnify banking client against employment discrimination claim.
Prior to his in-house position, Mike worked at Bodman LLP as a Litigation Partner and at Fraser Trebilcock Davis & Dunlap, P.C. where he focused on commercial and construction litigation. He also clerked for Judge Robert H. Cleland of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Mike received his Juris Doctor from Indiana University Maurer School of Law, cum laude. Mike is also a graduate of the University of Michigan, where he received his bachelor’s degree.
Honors & Awards
DBusiness Magazine Top Lawyers, 2021
American Arbitration Association, Arbitrator for Construction Panel
American Bar Association, Member of Litigation Section and Construction Industry Forum
Associated General Contractors of Michigan, Legal Advisory Committee, Member
Construction Association of Michigan, Corporate Member
Defense Research Institute, Alternative Dispute Resolution, Appellate Advocacy, Construction Law, and Insurance Law Committees
Home Builders Association of Southeastern Michigan, Member
“Class in Session: Defending Putative Class Actions” National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (September 2017)
“Class Actions and Mass Actions: Recent Developments and Reports from the Trenches” National Association of Minority and Women Owned Law Firms (September 2014)
“Class Action Tolling Issues and Statutes of Repose” presented to nationwide counsel for a national real estate and homebuilding company (November 2012)
“Challenging Government Action” presented to nationwide counsel for a national real estate and homebuilding company (November 2010)
“Litigating Construction Defect Claims; Insurance Coverage, Class Actions and Notice and Opportunity to Repair Statutes” Nevada State Bar (2008)
“Litigation Challenges in the Wake of the Housing Crisis” presented to nationwide counsel for a national real estate and homebuilding company (November 2008)
“Michigan Supreme Court Issues Important Insurance Ruling For The Home Building Industry” Building Business & Apartment Management, The Voice of the Home Builders Association of Southeastern Michigan and Apartment Association of Michigan, August 2020
“Liens Rights for Pre-Construction Services Providers Continue to Expand” ABA Forum on Construction, Division 7 Newsletter, co-author, April 2019
Mike lives in Birmingham, Michigan with his wife Kara. They have two children in college.
For the Community
- 2016 U.S. Amateur Golf Championship, Oakland Hills Country Club – Co-Chair of Marshals Committee, responsible for recruiting and supervising 500 volunteers who directed the on-course movement of players and spectators during seven-day event in August 2016.
- Bloomfield Village Homeowner’s Association – Past President, Board of Trustees; Member, New Roads Committee
- University of Detroit Jesuit High School – Dad’s Club; Scholarship Auction
Interests: History, Golf, Outdoors, Michigan Basketball
Favorite TV Shows: Veep, Billions, Game of Thrones (anxiously awaiting Season 8!)