Business and Commercial
Critical Motions / Appeal
Securities / Finance
University of Michigan Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2009
Suffolk University, B.S. Business Administration – Computer Information Systems, summa cum laude, 2003
Judge Raymond M. Kethledge, United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, 2009-2010
United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
United States District Court for the Northern District of Ohio
Michigan State Courts
Roger P. Meyers leads the firm’s complex business and commercial litigation practice. He routinely handles disputes involving business ownership and governance, mergers and acquisitions, commercial contracts, fraud and fiduciary duties, securities, health care, non-competes and unfair competition, and trade secrets. He also has significant experience in appeals, arbitrations, class actions, and internal investigations, and has tried or arbitrated several disputes to final judgment. In addition to handling major business and governance disputes across industries, Roger has a particularly deep background in the health care, private equity and financial services, and technology / telecommunications industries.
Roger has appeared in federal courts throughout the country, including California, Georgia, Illinois, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, and West Virginia, as well as the Delaware Court of Chancery and in FINRA, AAA, and JAMS arbitrations.
M&A, Shareholder, and Corporate Governance
- Defended closely held manufacturing business owner in $100 million alter-ego / veil-piercing action.
- Defended CEO of closely held financial-services company through trial and appeal in litigation involving claims of shareholder oppression, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represented plaintiff investor through arbitration to final award of complex business dispute on claims for statutory oppression, breach of fiduciary duty, and conversion.
- Counsel for private acquirer of a multi-state fast food franchisor in the defense of a $3.5 million action involving contractual and business tort claims.
- Counsel for outside management of agricultural products holding company in business torts and governance action.
- Defended leading health care system and CEO in False Claims Act retaliation action.
- Represented HMO in a series of contractual disputes with several physician groups.
- Counsel for major physician group in tortious-interference action involving complex peer review and HIPAA issues.
- Represented plaintiff executive in fraud, embezzlement, and fiduciary-duty action against former partner in home health care company.
- Defended prosthetics and medical equipment company in a multi-million dollar trademark and post-closing adjustment action arising out of divestiture of a line of business.
- Plaintiff’s counsel in membership dispute involving litigation and buyout of ambulatory surgical center.
- Conducted large scale health-care internal investigation involving several dozen physician and staff interviews.
- Counsel for plaintiff anesthesia services provider in mass tortious-interference and non-compete action.
Telecommunications, Technology and New Media
- Counsel for software company in $100 million patent, copyright, trade secret, and unfair competition action.
- Represented plaintiff telecommunications company in two-week jury trial and appeal in fraud, fiduciary duty, and partnership dispute.
- Defended telephone company in $40 million fraud and preference action arising out of tariff dispute.
- Represented plaintiff cloud-services company in partnership and fraud litigation arising out of government contracting.
- Defended software company in class action for alleged constitutional violations in connection with payment processing.
- Trial and appellate counsel for a high-tech manufacturing portfolio company in a $4 million royalty dispute involving extensive electronic discovery and an accounting before a special master.
- Represented marketing and business-services company in non-competition, confidentiality, and trade-secret misappropriation action against former executive team.
- Defended investment advisory firm in negligent hiring / oversight action arising out of associated advisor’s wrongdoing.
- Defended investment bank against fiduciary duty and other claims asserted by former partner in FINRA arbitration.
- Counsel for private equity firm in $40 million series of investor securities-fraud actions.
- Regional counsel for two major broker-dealers for FINRA arbitration and financial advisor depositions.
- Defended regional broker-dealer in non-compete litigation involving extensive forensic issues.
General Business and Commercial
- Defended leading truck manufacturer in $80 million supply dispute.
- Represented mining company in $25 million breach of lease action involving complex hydrogeology and geology issues.
- Counsel for global manufacturer in real-estate dispute regarding its world headquarters.
- Counsel for engineering firm in multi-party action involving a complex kickback scheme.
- Defended international importer against franchise, fraud, and other business tort claims.
Before joining Bush Seyferth PLLC, Roger was a Partner at Honigman Miller Schwartz & Cohn LLP. He also served as a judicial law clerk for Judge Kethledge of the United States Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit, a founding partner of BSP.
While attending the University of Michigan Law School, Roger was the Articles Editor for the University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform.
Roger came to his legal career with a decade of prior professional experience, including as general manager of a business with nearly $10 million in annual revenues and as a software consultant in the health care industry.
Honors & Awards
Detroit Bar Association Foundation Fellows Class, 2020
Michigan Super Lawyers, 2020
Michigan Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012-2019
America’s Top 100 High Stakes Litigators® for Michigan, 2018
Legal Aid Defender Association, Recognized for Pro Bono Service, 2012
University of Michigan Law School, Order of the Coif
Detroit Bar Association, Board of Directors
Detroit Bar Association, Judicial Candidate Evaluation Committee Member
American Bar Association, Commercial and Business Litigation Committee, Subcommittee Chair (Past)
Federal Bar Association – E.D. Michigan Chapter, Sustaining Member, Subcommittee Chair (Past)
Oakland County Bar Association, Sustaining Member
State Bar of Michigan – Appellate Practice Section and Litigation Section, Member
“Litigating Commercial Cases in Arbitration” Michigan Defense Trial Counsel, Moderator, 2019
“Best Laid Plans: How To Prepare For & Litigate Deals Gone Bad” Network of Trial Law Firms, 2018
“Classroom to Courtroom” hosted by FBA’s Diversity Committee, Panelist, 2018
“New Year New You – Master the Meet and Confer” Thomson Reuters Webinar, Panelist, 2018
“Private Equity Litigation: What’s the Big Secret?” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Roundtables Committee, Panelist, 2016
“One Size Does Not Fit All: Comparing and Contrasting Appeals Among State and Federal Intermediate and High Appellate Courts” American Bar Association Section of Litigation Roundtables Committee, Program Chair, 2014
“Affirmative Defenses Demystified: Follow the Rules” Detroit Lawyer Magazine, co-author, 2020
“Best-Laid Plans: How to Prepare for & Litigate Deals Gone Bad,” OCBA LACHES, January 2020 Issue, co-author, 2020
“Franks v. Franks: The Michigan Court of Appeals Writes a Treatise on Shareholder Oppression” Detroit Lawyer Magazine, co-author, 2020
“Broker-Dealer Litigation” 2016 Annual Survey, Contributor, 2016
“Broader Fee-Shifting Provisions in Delaware Corporate Bylaws” American Bar Association, Practice Points, 2014
“An Analysis of Federal Rule of Evidence 502 and Its Early Application” Wayne Law Review, Vol. 55:3, 2010
“Risky Ventures: The Impact of IRS Health Care Joint Venture Policy” University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, Vol. 42:2, 2009
For the Commmunity
Michigan Science Center, Board Member, 2016-present
Birmingham Bloomfield Soccer Club, Coach, 2012-2013
Boy Scouts of America, Den Leader, 2011- 2013
Birmingham Area Youth Soccer League, Coach., 2010-2011
Birmingham Unitarian Church, Stewardship Committee, 2006-2007
Brookline Garden Condominium Association, Treasurer, 2002, and Board of Trustees – Chairman, 2003-2004
Favorite Pastime: Boating
Instruments Played: Guitar, Piano
Favorite Animal: Tiger